AUTHOR: Slublog DATE: 3/01/2005 12:30:00 AM ----- BODY: Heath Clarification - In my previous post on Michael Heath and his recent editorial, it may have seemed as though I was calling his faith into question. I meant to clarify that at the end of my comments, but ran out of time before I had to leave for the evening. From everything I know about Michael Heath, he's a good guy who loves his family and is sincere about his faith. I simply wish he would give up his position of leadership as a speaker for those of faith. Not because he's a bad guy, but because he's lost the respect of those he's paid to lobby and those he's supposed to represent. If Christians want to be effective in politics, they have to have a compelling message and a spokesman who can clearly articulate it. The problem with the focus on homosexuality is that too often, the subject is treated as though there aren't real people behind the rhetoric. As I've mentioned before, I have gay relatives who I love very much and I'm tired of seeing Christians treat their lives as talking points. It seems as though gays and lesbians have become convenient scapegoats to focus on as a way of ignoring the real problems with marriage that the church has ignored for decades. There are issues besides homosexuality that could use the attention of a Christian civic organization. I wish the church had political leaders with enough vision to see them. --------