AUTHOR: Slublog DATE: 2/27/2005 04:48:00 PM ----- BODY: Why I Won't Be Watching the Oscars - Well, this is pretty much the reason. After having the ineffectiveness of their middle-America hatred repudiated so thoroughly at the polls, one would think the creative "geniuses' in Hollywood could calm their vitriol for one night. Guess not. Even before I read this story, though, the Oscars didn't appeal to me. Mostly because I'm not a big fan of the out-of-touch, self-congratulatory celebrities that will populate tonight's ceremony. Just before the inauguration, liberals spent a lot of time asking whether the president should spend $40 million on the festivities when there is so much pain and suffering in the world. A similar question could be asked of these celebrities. How much has been spent on the gowns, the jewels, the gift bags? Personally, I don't care. Unlike bitter leftists who wanted to deny the president a celebration of his second term, I don't begrudge Hollywood their celebration. As a big believer in capitalism, I'm glad the economy has been stimulated with the amount spent tonight. In addition to the reasons I've listed, I also find the ceremony boring, no matter who hosts. So while I'm secretly hoping Chris Rock insults Julia Roberts tonight, I won't be tuning in to watch it. --------