AUTHOR: Slublog DATE: 2/23/2005 08:42:00 AM ----- BODY: Where Your Treasure Is - My friend Joe and I had a good email conversation yesterday about the nature of wealth based on this post. Lately, I've been struck by just how much we have here in the United States. Joe brought up a good saying in his email - "a rich man eats when he pleases, a poor man eats when he can." We are a wealthy country. Our debates over the 'haves versus have nots' would be laughable to someone living in other countries, as our 'have nots' are sometimes rich compared to those who literally have nothing. I realize how stupid it is when I open my fridge and complain that there's nothing to eat. Now, I'm not writing this to sound holier than thou, or to make anyone feel guilty for what they have. The wealth of the United States is a blessing, and a curse. A blessing for obvious reasons - our material quality of life is among the highest in the world. A curse because that wealth can distract us from what's really important - our relationships with other people, and the need we all have for a relationship with God. I'm writing it because one, it's my blog and I can write whatever I want and two, I think it's important to recognize the responsibilities our weath gives us. To whom much is given, much is required. Americans showed their generosity after the tsunami disaster hit southern Asia. At the risk of sounding like Sally Struthers, I would encourage readers to do more. It's something to think about while enjoying the many luxuries that living in this country provides. --------