AUTHOR: Slublog DATE: 2/18/2005 08:00:00 AM ----- BODY: Tribute to Rather - Saw this story on Ace, but almost didn't believe it. CBS News is going to run an hour-long tribute to Dan Rather. This, despite the fact that Rather almost single-handledly helped destroy the credibility of CBS News. The guy has been there awhile, so it's deserved, and I'm glad the network plans to deal with the memo story. I'm interested to see what Rather has to say about that, though - I predict he'll stand by his reporting as true, even if the memos were false. Like I've said, I kind of feel sorry for Rather. Here's a guy who fought his way into the news business with talent and determination. Retiring under these circumstances is no way to end what has been, for the most part, a good career. My only hope is that other journalists will learn from his experience and think before running with a 'too good to be true' story. --------