AUTHOR: Slublog DATE: 2/17/2005 11:17:00 AM ----- BODY: "Sod off, Swampy" - Protesters attempt to interrupt oil trading in Great Britain. Oil traders fight back. Hilarity ensues.
"We bit off more than we could chew. They were just Cockney barrow boy spivs. Total thugs," one protester said, rubbing his bruised skull. "I've never seen anyone less amenable to listening to our point of view." Another said: "I took on a Texan Swat team at Esso last year and they were angels compared with this lot." Behind him, on the balcony of the pub opposite the IPE, a bleary-eyed trader, pint in hand, yelled: "Sod off, Swampy."
Hat tip: Instapundit. UPDATE - I should probably explain why I find this story so funny. It's not the violence inflicted upon these protestors, it's their surprise at how ineffective their protest was and the response they received. The quote "I've never seen anyone less amenable to listening to our point of view." is priceless. What did these guys expect? Imagine having 30 protestors storm your workplace with air horns and shouts. I would likely react very negatively as well. Perhaps not with punches and kicks, but I would sure as heck do some shoving to try to get the trespassers out of my workplace. The left doesn't do itself any favors with these displays of anarchy. When you're getting your head smacked on a trading floor, or tear-gassed on the street, maybe it's time to reconsider your methods. --------