AUTHOR: Slublog DATE: 2/17/2005 08:47:00 AM ----- BODY: A Good Warning - I pick on Andrew Sullivan a lot, but in this post he makes an excellent point. Meth is becoming a huge problem, even up here in Maine. Sullivan recommends this site as a resource for anyone dealing with the addiction, either personally or because a friend is using. (h/t: Hugh Hewitt) I tend toward the libertarian on the drug war - it's expensive and we have little to show for fighting it - but I still tend to think drugs themselves should be illegal. I don't think, though, that we should put drug users in jail. They should be given treatment - if they beat the addiction, they are better off and are less likely to commit the crimes associated with drug use. I'm not as forgiving of those who sell drugs. They should be jailed and punished to the full extent of the law. The arguments against drug laws are compelling on an intellectual level, but ignore the reality of drug use, I think. Drugs destroy lives. I know that many other legal things do as well, but just because we can't make them all illegal doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to curb the use of some. --------