AUTHOR: Slublog DATE: 1/19/2005 08:33:00 AM ----- BODY: Wictory Wednesday - Polipundit encourages bloggers to start thinking about 2006. Ugh. I know the midterm elections are important to getting President Bush's agenda passed, but it's hard for me to start thinking about another campaign season. Poli is asking for support of Santorum. I know he's a good conservative and a fighter for principle, but he threw some of that capital away with his support of Senator Scottishlaw - Arlen Specter. Conservatives in Pennsylvania weren't able to punish Specter, but they may choose to take out their anger on Santorum. We only have one race that could get interesting here in Maine - Senator Olympia Snowe is up for re-election in '06. Personally, I have my doubts as to whether she'll even run again. I get the sense that she's getting tired of Washington and wants to settle into a quiet (or less stressful) private career. This speculation isn't the result of any tip or inside information - just a hunch. If she does choose not to run again, the Democrats have a good opportunity to pick off a Republican (RINO, anyway) seat. If Snowe steps down, I predict current representatives Mike Michaud and Tom Allen will both run for the open seat on the Democrat side, along with a few others: Chellie Pingree, Joe Perry and Dan Tremble. The surprise candidate would be Maine Governor John Baldacci. The Republican bench is a bit more shallow, but there is definately some talent. Running for the seat will be Peter Cianchette, Randy Bumps, Brian Hamel and maybe Tom Sawyer. Unless something dramatic happens, this blog will be around to cover the race, and perhaps blog my own - in 2006 or 2008, I hope to run for a seat in the state legislature. Okay, maybe I'm not as tired of campaigns as I thought. --------