AUTHOR: Slublog DATE: 12/01/2004 01:41:00 PM ----- BODY: I'm Hatin' It - Just got back from the McDonald's drive-through. Ordered one thing, got something completely different. Joe Pesci was right. Now I'm having french fries for lunch. In addition to getting my food order wrong, the service was curt and surly. So I call the place and what do I get for my trouble? Graciously, the manager put my name on a list to receive a free meal (the one I originally ordered). It's a nice move, but seems strange to have the answer to bad service be an invitation to the same place you received the bad service. Lest I seem like a 'customer is always right' jerk, let me say that I've worked at two separate McDonald's restaurants - one in Virginia Beach, Virginia and one in Bangor, Maine. I've worked in both the ordering window and the food window of the drive-through. There is no doubt that I got some orders wrong. However, this is the second time this has happened to me in the past two months - at two different locations, and I don't visit the Golden Arches all that often. Either I'm the unluckiest customer in the world, or the big M is slipping a bit. A few years ago, when the company began losing market share, they restructured their business model and put the focus back on food quality and good service. It seems evident they simply slapped a new coat of paint on a rusting product. When I redeem the offer of a free meal, (to get my money back, as it were) it will likely be my last visit to that or any McDonald's restaurants. Wendy's is just as close, as is Burger King. Why reward mediocrity? --------