AUTHOR: Slublog DATE: 12/07/2004 06:45:00 PM ----- BODY: Grammy Nominations - The Recording Academy has released its nominees for the 47th annual Grammy Awards. Rapper Kanye West has the largest number of nominations, at 10. If he doesn't go home with 10 statues, do you think he'll throw another hissy fit? Here are the nominees for some of the major awards, with my commentary. I'll begin with Record of the Year:
"Let's Get it Started" by the Black Eyed Peas - Ugh. Not a good start. The song is just boring. Not quite as annoyingly P.C.-preachy as "Where is the Love" but still pretty bad. "Here We Go Again" by Norah Jones and Ray Charles- Sympathy nomination, but a decent song. Not a big Ray Charles fan, though. "American Idiot" by Green Day - Haven't actually heard it. No opinion. "Heaven" by Los Lonely Boys - I like this song a lot. Catchy and easy to sing along with in the car. Not that I've ever done that. "Yeah!" by Usher, Lil Jon and Ludacris - Annoying. Not as annoying as the Black Eyed Peas, though.
Song of the Year:
"Daughters" by John Mayer - Egad, I hate this song. It's an 'instant switch' song for me - the minute I hear it on the radio, I change the station. Mayer has had one good song - "No Such Thing." "If I Ain't Got You" by Alicia Keys - This song should win. Great piano beginning and good singing by Keys. "Jesus Walks" by Kanye West - Sure, the song quotes "Happy Gilmore." Does that make it good? Nay, it does not. "Live Like You Were Dying" by Tim McGraw - Not a big country fan. "The Reason" by Hoobastank - Good tune, but way overplayed.
Anyway, that's my opinion on a few of the nominated. Not a great lineup, but much improved over last year. --------