AUTHOR: Slublog DATE: 11/09/2004 08:18:00 PM ----- BODY: Disagreeing with Hugh - The folks at "The Corner" are currently engaged in a rather civil debate with Hugh Hewitt over whether Pennsylvania Senator Arlen Spector should be made chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. All that's fine and good, but I have a more important disagreement with Mr. Hewitt - I'm listening to his show online right now and he's dissing "Halo" as a waste of time that leads to lowered American productivity. He's debating Lileks about the issue right now. Of course, Hewitt just showed his ignorance of the issue by asking whether it was possible to play as the Flood and the Covenant. *Sigh* I personally enjoy "Halo" and don't necessarily think video games are detrimental to the health of the Republic. I play "Halo," "Splinter Cell," "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic," and others. The evil sociopath in me enjoys the "Grand Theft Auto" games, as they allow one to do things like steal cars without the messy social and legal implications. Video games have always provided me the opportunity to relax, immerse myself in another world and forget what's going on in the real world. I'm on both sides of this issue. Games like "Halo" are fun, but shouldn't be a substitute for actual contact with other human beings. Now, I think Hewitt and Lileks should go at each other in Slayer mode of "Halo." I'd pay to see that. --------