AUTHOR: Slublog DATE: 9/25/2004 06:48:00 PM ----- BODY: The Dark Tower Ends

In 1987, I started reading a book that was a strange blend of western, science fiction and fantasy. It was called "The Gunslinger" and was about a man named Roland who was on a quest to find the Dark Tower. This afternoon, I finished the seventh and final book in the series. I won't reveal the end, but I will say the conclusion of Roland's quest wasn't entirely a surprise. The book was good, and unlike some other recent King writings, didn't have too much bloat. It was as long as it needed to be for King to finish the story he began writing in 1970. There is a surprising amount of emotional weight to the story, and some uncomfortable moments when King retells a bit of recent, tragic history in his own life. Overall, the story ended well and was a fitting conclusion to a story I've been following and have enjoyed for 17 years. Thanks for taking us to the end, Mr. King. --------