AUTHOR: Slublog DATE: 8/13/2004 09:10:00 AM ----- BODY: Day By Day - Good cartoon on Kerry's "positive" campaign:

If Kerry's first instinct is to jump straight into the 'politics of personal destruction,' then this story will hurt him overall, as The Truth Laid Bear is predicting. He's invested far too much into the 'band of brothers' image to start tearing apart fellow veterans now. For many in that generation, the wounds of what Kerry did after returning from the war are still fresh, and the latest attempt to defame fellow vets may not sit well with those who remember the war. I still think it was dumb for Kerry to focus so exclusively on his Vietnam service, leaving that service open for examination. Maybe he figured (quite correctly) that the media would cover for him. If so, then he's savvier than I would have given him credit for being. Like Instapundit is predicting, though, the media will have a huge price to pay for protecting Kerry through mishap after mishap. With me, they already have. I simply do not believe what I read in the papers, or see on the major media websites any more. And I'm probably not the only one. Overall, though, my earlier points about Kerry and Vietnam still stand. I want to know what a presidential candidate will do in the future, not what he's done in the past. With how much the Senator is focusing on 4 months of his life 30 years ago, the official Kerry campaign song should be "Glory Days" by Bruce Springsteen. I'm 31 years old. I was three when the Vietnam War ended. I don't want to hear about old war stories. What are you going to do about the war now raging, Senator? Are you going to let me invest my own Social Security money? Are you going to raise my taxes? What are you going to do about Iran and North Korea? Where do you stand on immigration or tort reform? What are your plans for the intelligence community and the military? What kind of president will you be? I'm tired of hearing about self-centered baby boomers talking about Vietnam. Quit the stupid nostalgia trips, the faux salutes and the "reporting for duty," and start talking about the future of this country. --------